Connect with us

Mississippi News

State officials: No plans to reopen Emmett Till lynching case

Published

on

Officials have no plans to reopen Emmett Till lynching case despite new evidence

Mississippi officials who could reopen the 1955 lynching case of Emmett Till do not have plans to proceed despite the recent discovery of new evidence. 

Evidence that has come to light in the past few weeks are an unpublished memoir by Carolyn Bryant Donham, who accused Till of whistling and grabbing her, which was shared with and reported on by The Associated Press, and the unserved original arrest warrant in Till’s case which lists Donham alongside the men who kidnapped and killed the teenager. 

Michelle Williams, chief of staff for Attorney General Lynn Fitch, told The Associated Press Friday there isn’t new evidence to reopen the case and that her office hasn’t been in contact with the Leflore County District Attorney’s office, which would be responsible for a case against Donham.

Leflore County District Attorney Dewayne Richardson and Sheriff Ricky Banks were not immediately available for comment Monday. 

The Emmett Till Legacy Foundation, started by members of Till’s family, is asking supporters to help to demand justice by contacting the district attorney’s office. In a Friday tweet, the foundation said the memoir and warrant are new evidence of Donham’s role as an accomplice in Till’s death. 

“We never accepted (the) closing of this case by the authorities or gave up hope,” Deborah Watts, Till’s cousin and head of the foundation, said in a June 30 statement. “We have always pushed for full accountability of all those involved in Emmett’s murder who may still be alive.”

A representative from the foundation was not immediately available for comment Monday. 

The Associated Press obtained a copy of Donham’s unpublished memoir Thursday titled, “I am More Than a Wolf Whistle.” In it, she said she didn’t know what would happen to Till after she accused him of whistling at and grabbing her at the store she worked at in the Delta.

She said her former husband Roy Bryant and his half brother J.W. Milam kidnapped the 14-year-old from his family’s home and brought Till to her in the middle of the night for identification. She denied it was him and claimed Till identified himself. 

Timothy Tyson, a historian and author, shared a copy of the manuscript he obtained from Donham while interviewing her in 2008 for his book, the Associated Press reported. He put the manuscript in a University of North Carolina archive with the agreement not to make it public for decades, but he publicized it now after the discovery of the unserved warrant for Donham. 

Last month, a team including Till family members searched the basement of the Leflore County Courthouse in Greenwood and found the warrant dated Aug. 29, 1955, and listing “Mrs. Roy Bryant,” Bryant and Milam. 

The men were acquitted of Till’s murder but later admitted to the crime in a magazine interview. 

The U.S. Department of Justice had investigated the Till case several times without filing charges.

Donham is now 87 and had a last known address in North Carolina. She nor relatives did not respond to requests for comment from the Associated Press. 

This article first appeared on Mississippi Today and is republished here under a Creative Commons license.

Mississippi News

Leaders, family mark 70th anniversary of Emmett Till’s murder

Published

on

www.wjtv.com – Kaitlin Howell – 2025-08-28 09:09:00

SUMMARY: In honor of Emmett Till and the 70th anniversary of his 1955 lynching in Mississippi, leaders and family will hold a news conference at the Mississippi State Capitol on August 28, 2025. Till, a 14-year-old Black Chicago teen, was brutally murdered after being falsely accused of whistling at a white woman. His killers were acquitted by an all-white jury but later confessed. His death galvanized the Civil Rights Movement. Recently, thousands of previously unreleased federal records detailing the investigation were made public. President Biden signed legislation making lynching a federal hate crime and established a national monument honoring Till and his mother.

Read the full article

The post Leaders, family mark 70th anniversary of Emmett Till's murder appeared first on www.wjtv.com

Continue Reading

Mississippi News

Kilmar Abrego Garcia surrenders to ICE in Baltimore, again faces possible deportation

Published

on

www.wjtv.com – BRIAN WITTE and BEN FINLEY Associated Press – 2025-08-25 07:22:00

SUMMARY: Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran national detained by U.S. immigration authorities in Baltimore, faces potential immediate deportation under the Trump administration. A Maryland federal court order pauses deportations for immigrants challenging detention, including Abrego Garcia. Previously wrongfully deported to El Salvador despite fearing violence, he was returned to the U.S. and charged with human smuggling, which he denies, calling the prosecution vindictive. The administration alleges gang ties, which he rejects. Abrego Garcia faces deportation to Uganda, a new U.S. deportation partner, despite his family and life in Maryland. His attorneys seek to block deportation pending legal review and due process.

Read the full article

The post Kilmar Abrego Garcia surrenders to ICE in Baltimore, again faces possible deportation appeared first on www.wjtv.com

Continue Reading

Mississippi News

Events happening this weekend in Mississippi: August 22-24

Published

on

www.wjtv.com – Kaitlin Howell – 2025-08-22 07:20:00

SUMMARY: This weekend (August 22-24) in Mississippi offers diverse events across Central Mississippi and the Pine Belt. In Jackson, enjoy concerts like Starlito x Don Trip and The Step Brothers 4 Life Tour. Art lovers can explore exhibits such as The Garden of Earthly Delights in Natchez and Hurricane Katrina: Mississippi Remembers in Jackson. Family-friendly activities include the Mississippi Children’s Museum exhibits and the Farmer’s Markets in Jackson, Natchez, and Vicksburg. Notable events include the Black Men’s Health Equity Conference, The Boss T.E.A. Party, and the 15th Annual Leadership Natchez Kickball Tournament. In the Pine Belt, Southern Miss hosts the SMAC Welcome Back Festival and Pride Preview, while Laurel features The Color Purple musical and a chess social.

Read the full article

The post Events happening this weekend in Mississippi: August 22-24 appeared first on www.wjtv.com

Continue Reading

Trending