Connect with us

Mississippi News

Hinds County Youth Court Judge Carlyn Hicks Says Court Has Made Progress in Two Years

Published

on

JACKSON, Miss.—Hinds County Youth Court Judge Carlyn Hicks’ first juvenile-delinquency case in July 2020 involved a 12-year-old girl who came into her courtroom in shackles that summer. “She sat at the witness table in front of the bench alone,” Hicks recalled as she addressed a captive audience at an event held on Nov. 17, 2022, at the Henley-Young-Patton Juvenile Justice Center.

“She looked up at me with fear in her eyes and uncertainty. Her attorney was present, but his table was several feet away from her to my right,” Hicks said during her “2022 State of the Child in Hinds County” report.

“Her charge was disturbing the family peace; the fact was that she poured grease on the kitchen floor, and she missed the bus,” the judge continued. “This child had the police called on her for this. They arrested her. They put her in the back of the police car. She was booked to the detention center for disturbing the family peace.”

The youth court judge, who ran unopposed

<b>Read More</b>:
https://www.mississippifreepress.org/29301/judge-children-no-longer-shackled-in-courtroom-touts-transformative-change

By: Kayode Crown
Title: Hinds County Youth Court Judge Carlyn Hicks Says Court Has Made Progress in Two Years
Sourced From: www.mississippifreepress.org/29301/judge-children-no-longer-shackled-in-courtroom-touts-transformative-change
Published Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 21:05:46 +0000

Always check our latest articles at…
https://www.biloxinewsevents.com/category/mississippi-news

Mississippi News

Girls, parents and gym owner reported concerns about gymnastics coach years before sex abuse case

Published

on

www.wjtv.com – Ryan J. Foley – 2025-08-29 09:49:00

SUMMARY: Sean Gardner, a gymnastics coach, faced multiple abuse allegations from gymnasts and parents dating back to 2018, yet he continued coaching and was even promoted at Chow’s Gymnastics, owned by renowned coach Liang “Chow” Qiao. Despite reports of inappropriate touching and grooming behavior, USA Gymnastics and SafeSport failed to act decisively. Gardner was banned in 2022 after a sexual abuse complaint but was arrested only in 2025 following FBI investigation revealing he installed hidden cameras to exploit young gymnasts. The case highlights systemic failures by gymnastics authorities, law enforcement, and the gym in protecting athletes from abuse.

Read the full article

The post Girls, parents and gym owner reported concerns about gymnastics coach years before sex abuse case appeared first on www.wjtv.com

Continue Reading

Mississippi News

Leaders, family mark 70th anniversary of Emmett Till’s murder

Published

on

www.wjtv.com – Kaitlin Howell – 2025-08-28 09:09:00

SUMMARY: In honor of Emmett Till and the 70th anniversary of his 1955 lynching in Mississippi, leaders and family will hold a news conference at the Mississippi State Capitol on August 28, 2025. Till, a 14-year-old Black Chicago teen, was brutally murdered after being falsely accused of whistling at a white woman. His killers were acquitted by an all-white jury but later confessed. His death galvanized the Civil Rights Movement. Recently, thousands of previously unreleased federal records detailing the investigation were made public. President Biden signed legislation making lynching a federal hate crime and established a national monument honoring Till and his mother.

Read the full article

The post Leaders, family mark 70th anniversary of Emmett Till's murder appeared first on www.wjtv.com

Continue Reading

Mississippi News

Kilmar Abrego Garcia surrenders to ICE in Baltimore, again faces possible deportation

Published

on

www.wjtv.com – BRIAN WITTE and BEN FINLEY Associated Press – 2025-08-25 07:22:00

SUMMARY: Kilmar Abrego Garcia, a Salvadoran national detained by U.S. immigration authorities in Baltimore, faces potential immediate deportation under the Trump administration. A Maryland federal court order pauses deportations for immigrants challenging detention, including Abrego Garcia. Previously wrongfully deported to El Salvador despite fearing violence, he was returned to the U.S. and charged with human smuggling, which he denies, calling the prosecution vindictive. The administration alleges gang ties, which he rejects. Abrego Garcia faces deportation to Uganda, a new U.S. deportation partner, despite his family and life in Maryland. His attorneys seek to block deportation pending legal review and due process.

Read the full article

The post Kilmar Abrego Garcia surrenders to ICE in Baltimore, again faces possible deportation appeared first on www.wjtv.com

Continue Reading

Trending