Connect with us

News from the South - Georgia News Feed

US Senate Republicans advance bill stripping funds from NPR, PBS, foreign aid

Published

on

georgiarecorder.com – Jennifer Shutt – 2025-07-15 21:19:00


The U.S. Senate advanced a bill to rescind $9 billion in previously approved funding, including $1.1 billion for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and $8.3 billion for foreign aid. Vice President JD Vance cast the tie-breaking vote for the 51-50 procedural approval. Senate leaders removed cuts to the global HIV/AIDS program PEPFAR to gain support. South Dakota’s Sen. Mike Rounds secured $9.4 million to keep tribal radio stations funded. Maine’s Sen. Susan Collins requested clearer details on the funding cuts. The House approved the measure in June, and further amendments are expected before final passage. President Trump urges full support to defund public broadcasting.

by Jennifer Shutt, Georgia Recorder
July 15, 2025

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Senate on Tuesday night moved one step closer to canceling $9 billion in previously approved funding for several foreign aid programs and public broadcasting after GOP leaders addressed some objections.

Nearly all the chamber’s Republicans voted to begin debate on the bill, though Maine’s Susan Collins, Kentucky’s Mitch McConnell and Alaska’s Lisa Murkowski opposed the procedural step along with every Democrat.

The 51-50 vote marked a significant moment for President Donald Trump’s rescissions request, which faced more headwinds in the Senate than in the House. Vice President JD Vance cast the tie-breaking vote.

Trump proposed doing away with $1.1 billion for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting that lawmakers had approved for the next two fiscal years as well as $8.3 billion from several foreign aid accounts.

The Corporation for Public Broadcasting provides funding to National Public Radio, the Public Broadcasting Service and local media stations throughout the country.

Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., said before the vote that some of the progress stemmed from removing a spending cut for the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, or PEPFAR, a global health program to combat HIV/AIDS launched by former President George W. Bush.

“There was a lot of interest among our members in doing something on the PEPFAR issue and that’s reflected in the substitute,” Thune said. “And we hope that if we can get this across the finish line in the Senate that the House would accept that one small modification.”

South Dakota Republican Sen. Mike Rounds, who had raised concerns about cutting funding for rural public broadcasting stations run by tribal communities, announced a few hours before the vote he’d reached an agreement with the White House.

“We wanted to make sure tribal broadcast services in South Dakota continued to operate which provide potentially lifesaving emergency alerts,” Rounds wrote in a social media post. “We worked with the Trump administration to find Green New Deal money that could be reallocated to continue grants to tribal radio stations without interruption.”

Rounds said during a brief interview that $9.4 million will be transferred from an account within the Interior Department directly to 28 Native American radio stations in nine states.

“I had concerns specifically about the impact on these radio stations that are in rural areas with people that have basically very few other resources, and to me, they got caught in the crossfire on public broadcasting,” Rounds said. “And so I just wanted to get it fixed and I was successful in getting it fixed.”

White House budget director Russ Vought told reporters after a closed-door lunch meeting with Republican senators that he didn’t want to get “too far ahead” of discussions, but that his office was working with GOP senators to ensure certain local broadcast stations “have the opportunity to continue to do their early warning system and local reporting.”

Maine’s Collins wants more details

Senate Appropriations Chairwoman Collins, who voiced reservations about several of the rescissions during a June hearing, said preserving full funding for PEPFAR represented “progress.”

But Collins said a few hours before the vote she still wants more details from the White House budget office about the exact source of the other $9 billion in cuts to previously approved spending.

“One of the issues, which I raised at lunch, is the total is still $9 billion and it’s unclear to me how you get to $9 billion, because he’s listed a number of programs he wants to, quote, protect,” Collins said, referring to Vought. “So we still have the problem of not having detailed account information from OMB.”

Collins, R-Maine, then held up a printed version of the 1992 rescissions request that President George H.W. Bush sent Congress, which she said was “extremely detailed” and listed each account.

“I would contrast that to the message that we got for this rescission, which just has a paragraph and doesn’t tell you how it’s broken down in each program,” Collins said, adding she’s still “considering the options.”

The Senate’s procedural vote began a maximum of 10 hours of debate that will be followed by a marathon amendment voting session that could rework the bill. A final passage vote could take place as soon as Wednesday.

Trump expected to send more requests

The House approved the legislation in June, but the measure will have to go back across the Capitol for a final vote since the Senate is expected to make changes.

The effort to cancel funding that Congress previously approved in bipartisan government funding bills began last month when the Trump administration sent Congress this rescission request.

The initiative, led by White House budget director Vought, is part of Republicans’ ongoing efforts to reduce federal spending, which totaled $6.8 trillion during the last full fiscal year.

Vought expects to send lawmakers additional rescissions proposals in the months ahead, though he hasn’t said publicly when or what funding he’ll request Congress eliminate.

Once the White House submits a rescission request, it can legally freeze funding on those accounts for 45 days while Congress debates whether to approve, amend, or ignore the proposal.

Johnson slams funding for public media

House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., said during a press conference before the PEPFAR removal was announced that he hoped the Senate didn’t change the bill at all.

“I’ve urged them, as I always do, to please keep the product unamended because we have a narrow margin and we’ve got to pass it,” Johnson said. “But we’re going to process whatever they send us whenever they send (it to) us and I’m hopeful that it will be soon.”

Johnson said canceling the previously approved funding on some foreign aid programs and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting represented “low-hanging fruit.”

Federal funding for public media, Johnson said, embodied a “misuse of taxpayer dollars” on organizations that produce “biased reporting.”

“While at its origination NPR and PBS might have made some sense, and maybe it does now,” Johnson said. “But it shouldn’t be subsidized by taxpayers.”

Trump has also sought to encourage Republican senators to pass the bill without making any significant changes.

“It is very important that all Republicans adhere to my Recissions Bill and, in particular, DEFUND THE CORPORATION FOR PUBLIC BROADCASTING (PBS and NPR), which is worse than CNN & MSDNC put together,” Trump wrote on social media last week. “Any Republican that votes to allow this monstrosity to continue broadcasting will not have my support or Endorsement. Thank you for your attention to this matter!”

Georgia Recorder is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Georgia Recorder maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Jill Nolin for questions: info@georgiarecorder.com.

The post US Senate Republicans advance bill stripping funds from NPR, PBS, foreign aid appeared first on georgiarecorder.com



Note: The following A.I. based commentary is not part of the original article, reproduced above, but is offered in the hopes that it will promote greater media literacy and critical thinking, by making any potential bias more visible to the reader –Staff Editor.

Political Bias Rating: Center-Right

This article presents a factual and detailed account of a Republican-led Senate effort to cut funding for specific government programs, including foreign aid and public broadcasting. The coverage includes perspectives from GOP leaders and mentions opposition from some Republicans and Democrats, without overtly endorsing or opposing the policy itself. The focus on Republican criticism of public media funding and emphasis on fiscal restraint aligns with center-right policy priorities, but the balanced tone and inclusion of dissenting voices suggest a generally centrist news approach with a mild center-right leaning due to the subject matter and source framing.

News from the South - Georgia News Feed

3 Georgia colleges hit by swatting calls in 1 night | FOX 5 News

Published

on

www.youtube.com – FOX 5 Atlanta – 2025-08-30 19:52:01

SUMMARY: Three Georgia colleges—Clark Atlanta University, University of Georgia, and University of West Georgia—were targeted by swatting calls reporting active shooters on the same night. At Clark Atlanta, police responded to reports at the Rover W. Woodruff Library, enforcing a shelter-in-place before confirming the threat was false. Similar hoax calls at the other universities also proved false. These swatting incidents divert critical law enforcement resources and cause fear among students. The FBI Atlanta field office is investigating these fake shooter reports nationwide, emphasizing that such hoaxes are dangerous, costly, and immature, urging the public to report any real suspicious activity promptly.

The University of Georgia, University of West Georgia and Clark Atlanta University all received active shooter threats on Friday …

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Georgia News Feed

Open Arms Outreach Augusta offers vital aid to those in need

Published

on

www.wjbf.com – Hannah McDonell – 2025-08-30 13:58:00

SUMMARY: On National Overdose Awareness Day, multiple organizations in Augusta, Ga. joined forces to provide recovery resources. Open Arms Outreach Augusta distributed free Narcan, fentanyl test strips, and helped individuals access insurance and treatment. Now a nonprofit, they partner with Good Neighbor Ministries to fund treatment. Co-Founder Nicoll Gentry, in long-term recovery herself, emphasizes offering hope to those society may have dismissed. In Flight Missions provided food and support to anyone in need, while Ready or Not Ministries handed out clothes and shower vouchers, sharing their personal recovery journeys. Contact Open Arms Outreach Augusta at narcan.augusta@gmail.com or via Facebook for assistance.

Read the full article

The post Open Arms Outreach Augusta offers vital aid to those in need appeared first on www.wjbf.com

Continue Reading

News from the South - Georgia News Feed

How much do Americans ‘guilt-tip’ every year?

Published

on

www.wsav.com – Michael Bartiromo – 2025-08-29 14:15:00

SUMMARY: Digital tipping screens at many U.S. businesses, including self-serve spots, often pressure customers to tip, leading to “guilt-tipping.” A Talker Research survey of 2,000 adults found Americans now guilt-tip less frequently—4.2 times monthly in 2025 versus 6.3 times in 2024—and plan to tip less overall. Despite this, nearly half feel pressured to tip more than usual, with 20% often or always doing so. Experts note such pressure can cause resentment toward businesses, but companies continue using these screens because they boost tips and help with employee wages. Etiquette advice suggests tipping based on service quality, as these screens are likely here to stay.

Read the full article

The post How much do Americans 'guilt-tip' every year? appeared first on www.wsav.com

Continue Reading

Trending