Connect with us

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

US Education Department to revive student loan interest for borrowers in SAVE program

Published

on

arkansasadvocate.com – Shauneen Miranda – 2025-07-09 16:06:00


The U.S. Education Department announced interest on federal student loans under the Biden-era SAVE plan will resume Aug. 1 for 7.7 million borrowers, following court rulings blocking the plan’s implementation. The SAVE plan, introduced in 2023 to lower payments and forgive debt after time, was halted by legal challenges from GOP-led states. Borrowers will now owe accrued interest plus principal, urged to shift to compliant repayment plans. Education Secretary Linda McMahon criticized the previous administration’s forgiveness efforts, while advocates condemned the decision for adding financial strain. The department is also facing legal challenges amid efforts to downsize and restructure.

by Shauneen Miranda, Arkansas Advocate
July 9, 2025

WASHINGTON — Interest accrual on the debt of nearly 7.7 million student loan borrowers enrolled in the Saving on a Valuable Education plan will resume Aug. 1, the U.S. Education Department said Wednesday.

The Biden-era income-driven repayment plan better known as SAVE saw legal challenges from several GOP-led states beginning in 2024, creating uncertainty for borrowers who were placed in an interest-free forbearance amid that legal limbo.

The SAVE plan, created in 2023, aimed to provide lower monthly loan payments for borrowers and forgive remaining debt after a certain period of time.

In February, a federal appeals court upheld a lower court injunction that blocked the SAVE plan from going into effect. The department said Wednesday that it’s instructing its federal student loan servicers to start charging interest Aug. 1 to comply with court orders.

When the SAVE plan forbearance ends, “borrowers will be responsible for making monthly payments that include any accrued interest as well as their principal amounts,” the department said in a written announcement.

“For years, the Biden Administration used so-called ‘loan forgiveness’ promises to win votes, but federal courts repeatedly ruled that those actions were unlawful,” Education Secretary Linda McMahon said in a statement alongside the announcement.

“Congress designed these programs to ensure that borrowers repay their loans, yet the Biden Administration tried to illegally force taxpayers to foot the bill instead,” she added.

McMahon said her department is urging borrowers under the SAVE plan to “quickly transition to a legally compliant repayment plan.”

“Borrowers in SAVE cannot access important loan benefits and cannot make progress toward loan discharge programs authorized by Congress,” she said.

‘Unnecessary interest charges’

Mike Pierce, executive director of the Student Borrower Protection Center, blasted the department’s decision in a statement Wednesday.

“Instead of fixing the broken student loan system, Secretary McMahon is choosing to drown millions of people in unnecessary interest charges and blaming unrelated court cases for her own mismanagement,” he said.

“Every day, we hear from borrowers waiting on hold with their servicer for hours, begging the government to let them out of this forbearance, and help them get back on track — instead, McMahon is choosing to jack up the cost of their student debt without giving them a way out.”

The agency has taken heat for its sweeping actions in the months since President Donald Trump took office as he and his administration look to dismantle the department.

The department is also mired in a legal challenge over some of its most significant efforts so far, including laying off more than 1,300 employees earlier this year as part of a reduction in force effort, an executive order calling on McMahon to facilitate the closure of her own agency and Trump’s proposal to transfer some services to other federal agencies. These actions have been temporarily halted in court.

Meanwhile, President Donald Trump signed a massive tax and spending cut bill into law last week, part of which forces any borrower under the SAVE plan to opt in to a different repayment plan by July 1, 2028, or be automatically placed in a new, income-based repayment plan. 

Arkansas Advocate is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Arkansas Advocate maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Sonny Albarado for questions: info@arkansasadvocate.com.

The post US Education Department to revive student loan interest for borrowers in SAVE program appeared first on arkansasadvocate.com



Note: The following A.I. based commentary is not part of the original article, reproduced above, but is offered in the hopes that it will promote greater media literacy and critical thinking, by making any potential bias more visible to the reader –Staff Editor.

Political Bias Rating: Center-Right

This article presents the developments around the federal student loan SAVE plan primarily through a critical lens toward the Biden administration’s policies, emphasizing legal challenges and statements from Education Secretary Linda McMahon, a Trump appointee, who frames the administration’s actions as unlawful and fiscally irresponsible. It includes critical commentary from conservative officials and frames the Biden-era policies as politically motivated. Although it also quotes critics of the Education Department’s decision, the overall tone and source choices suggest a center-right leaning, reflecting skepticism of progressive loan forgiveness policies while focusing on legal and fiscal accountability.

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

Sylvan Hills defeats Maumelle in Zero Week thriller

Published

on

www.youtube.com – THV11 – 2025-08-28 23:12:00

SUMMARY: Sylvan Hills ended a 20-game losing streak by defeating Maumelle 55-54 in a thrilling zero-week high school football game. Despite trailing at times, the Bears showcased resilience with key plays from Bubba Johnson and Tyler Hampton, tying the game 28-28 at halftime. Maumelle’s Levi Warrior made impressive catches, keeping the Hornets competitive. In the closing seconds, Maumelle nearly secured the win, but a controversial goal-line stop gave Sylvan Hills the victory. This dramatic opener signals an exciting 2025 season ahead, marking Sylvan Hills’ first win in two years and an intense start for both teams.

Sylvan Hills breaks a 20 game losing streak with a 55-54 win over.

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

Catholic community in Fayetteville prays for Minneapolis victims, reflects on safety

Published

on

www.youtube.com – 40/29 News – 2025-08-27 21:29:53

SUMMARY: Father Jason Tyler of the Catholic community in Fayetteville reflects on the Minneapolis shooting, expressing sadness and anger over the senseless violence. He acknowledges the natural questioning of God’s presence during such tragedies. Despite the distance, the event feels close due to shared faith. Father Tyler assures families that St. Joseph prioritizes safety, with ongoing training for staff and recent security upgrades funded by grants. Counselors are available for students needing support, and he remains open to parents. He emphasizes the fragility of life and the importance of unity within communities as God’s people in response to such events.

Catholic community in Fayetteville prays for Minneapolis victims, reflects on safety

Subscribe to 40/29 on YouTube now for more: http://bit.ly/PTElbK

Get more Northwest Arkansas news: http://www.4029tv.com
Like us: http://facebook.com/4029news
Follow us: http://twitter.com/4029news
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/4029news/

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

Trump administration says CDC chief ousted, but her lawyer says she hasn’t resigned or been fired

Published

on

arkansasadvocate.com – Jennifer Shutt – 2025-08-27 17:13:00


Susan Monarez, recently confirmed as CDC director, faces controversy after the Trump administration announced she is no longer leading the agency, though she has neither resigned nor been officially fired. Her attorneys claim she was targeted for refusing to follow unscientific political directives and remains committed to science and public health. The Department of Health and Human Services confirmed her departure on social media. Monarez was Trump’s second CDC nominee after Dave Weldon withdrew. Her confirmation was narrowly approved by the Senate. The dispute has sparked concerns about politicization of the CDC and prompted other public health officials to consider resigning.

by Jennifer Shutt, Arkansas Advocate
August 27, 2025

WASHINGTON — The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention doesn’t appear inclined to leave her post, despite the Trump administration announcing Wednesday that she’s no longer running one of the country’s top public health agencies. 

Attorneys for Susan Monarez, who received Senate confirmation in late July, posted that she hasn’t been fired or resigned, but didn’t announce whether they plan to sue the administration. 

“When CDC Director Susan Monarez refused to rubber-stamp unscientific, reckless directives and fire dedicated health experts she chose protecting the public over serving a political agenda,” wrote Mark S. Zaid and Abbe David Lowell. “For that, she has been targeted. Dr. Monarez has neither resigned nor received notification from the White House that she has been fired, and as a person of integrity and devoted to science, she will not resign.”

The statement from Monarez’s attorneys came just hours after the Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the CDC, wrote on social media that she was no longer running the agency. 

“Susan Monarez is no longer director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,” the post stated. “We thank her for her dedicated service to the American people. @SecKennedy has full confidence in his team at@CDCgov who will continue to be vigilant in protecting Americans against infectious diseases at home and abroad.”

The Washington Post first reported the news. 

The U.S. Senate voted along party lines to confirm Monarez as CDC director in late July, giving her just weeks in one of the nation’s top public health roles.

Monarez’s last post on social media from her official account was on Aug. 22, marking the death of a police officer after a gunman opened fire at the CDC’s headquarters in Atlanta. 

“A large group of CDC employees and I attended today’s memorial for Officer David Rose, whose Tour of Duty ended on August 8 when he responded to shots fired,” Monarez wrote. “He leaves behind a legacy of love, courage, and service to the community that will never be forgotten.”

The dispute over Monarez’s position as CDC director appeared to potentially mark the beginning of a wave of resignations from other public health officials, including Director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases Demetre C. Daskalakis.

“I am unable to serve in an environment that treats CDC as a tool to generate policies and materials that do not reflect scientific reality and are designed to hurt rather than to improve the public’s health,” Daskalakis wrote in a lengthy social media post. “The recent change in the adult and children’s immunization schedule threaten the lives of the youngest Americans and pregnant people.”

Monarez second choice after Weldon

Monarez was President Donald Trump’s second choice for CDC director. He originally selected former Florida U.S. Rep. Dave Weldon to run the CDC shortly after he secured election to the Oval Office in November. But the White House pulled Weldon’s nomination in March, after it appeared he couldn’t secure the votes needed for confirmation.

Later that month, Trump announced his plans to nominate Monarez in a social media post.

“Dr. Monarez brings decades of experience championing Innovation, Transparency, and strong Public Health Systems,” Trump wrote. “She has a Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin, and PostDoctoral training in Microbiology and Immunology at Stanford University School of Medicine.

“As an incredible mother and dedicated public servant, Dr. Monarez understands the importance of protecting our children, our communities, and our future. Americans have lost confidence in the CDC due to political bias and disastrous mismanagement. Dr. Monarez will work closely with our GREAT Secretary of Health and Human Services, Robert Kennedy Jr. Together, they will prioritize Accountability, High Standards, and Disease Prevention to finally address the Chronic Disease Epidemic and, MAKE AMERICA HEALTHY AGAIN!”

Restoring trust in CDC

Monarez testified in front of the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions in June as part of her confirmation process. The committee voted 12-11 in July to send her nomination to the Senate floor, where Republicans approved her to the post later that month. 

Chairman Bill Cassidy, R-La., said during the committee’s markup that he believed Monarez would put science first and help to restore public trust in the agency. 

“The United States needs a CDC director who makes decisions rooted in science, a leader who will reform the agency and work to restore public trust in health institutions,” Cassidy said at the time. “With decades of proven experience as a public health official, Dr. Monarez is ready to take on this challenge.”

Last updated 6:59 p.m., Aug. 27, 2025

Arkansas Advocate is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Arkansas Advocate maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Sonny Albarado for questions: info@arkansasadvocate.com.

The post Trump administration says CDC chief ousted, but her lawyer says she hasn’t resigned or been fired appeared first on arkansasadvocate.com



Note: The following A.I. based commentary is not part of the original article, reproduced above, but is offered in the hopes that it will promote greater media literacy and critical thinking, by making any potential bias more visible to the reader –Staff Editor.

Political Bias Rating: Center-Left

This content exhibits a center-left political bias through its framing of Susan Monarez as a public health figure targeted for standing up to “unscientific, reckless directives” under the Trump administration, emphasizing her commitment to science and integrity. The article highlights criticism of political interference in public health agencies and portrays Monarez’s ousting in a critical light, which aligns with perspectives more commonly found on the center-left. While it presents direct quotes from officials and references bipartisan actions, the tone and selection of details suggest a tilt toward defending established scientific leadership against politically motivated decisions associated with the right-wing Trump administration.

Continue Reading

Trending