News from the South - Texas News Feed
Trump tours flood-hit Kerrville area, defends response
“Trump defends federal government’s response to Hill Country floods during Texas visit” was first published by The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan media organization that informs Texans — and engages with them — about public policy, politics, government and statewide issues.
Sign up for The Brief, The Texas Tribune’s daily newsletter that keeps readers up to speed on the most essential Texas news.
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump and Texas lawmakers on Friday defended the federal government’s response to the deadly July Fourth flooding in Central Texas, claiming that aid was quickly dispatched to reeling communities after the floodwaters swept through.
Making his first visit to Texas since the floods, which killed at least 120 people, Trump toured a part of the disaster site near the Guadalupe River in Kerrville, received briefings from local officials and sat for a roundtable with first responders and other officials. After the event, in response to a reporter’s question about whether federal weather forecasters properly warned of the impending floods, Trump stood by his administration’s response, saying that “everyone did an incredible job, under the circumstances.”
He then bristled at the question and labeled the inquiring reporter “evil.”
“Only a bad person would ask a question like that,” he said.
Other roundtable participants rallied to the president’s defense and praised the pace of the federal government’s response.
“Pointing fingers is for losers,” Rep. Chip Roy said, invoking similar comments made by Gov. Greg Abbott at a news conference earlier in the week. The Austin Republican, whose district was hit hardest by the storm, was effusive in his praise for Trump.
“I can’t thank you enough,” he said to the president. “When I called you on Friday, you said, ‘whatever you need.’”
Abbott, who sat to Trump’s left at the roundtable, said it was “the fastest I’m aware of any administration responding so swiftly, so collaboratively, so coordinated as we have in response to this.”
The White House previously defended the quality of its weather forecasts and warnings, insisting they were “timely and precise” and undisturbed by staffing cuts at the National Weather Service. In the days since, scrutiny has shifted to how the federal government has responded, as reports have emerged that the Federal Emergency Management Agency has moved slower than expected to help with recovery and search-and-rescue efforts.
On Sunday, two days after the flooding began, Trump signed a major disaster declaration at Abbott’s request, freeing up federal funds for the recovery efforts.
The aid package includes grants for temporary housing, funds for repairing damaged homes and facilities, and low-cost loans for uninsured property losses.
Statewide leaders, including Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, underscored that lawmakers will work during the upcoming special legislative session to find solutions that could prevent similar tragedies.
Abbott said the session, scheduled to begin July 21, will give community members a chance to “weigh in” on how the Legislature should respond. One such venue, Patrick said, will be a legislative hearing in Kerrville where residents hit by the flood will get to share “their stories, their needs and their wants.”
Accompanying Trump on his flight from Washington to Central Texas were Sens. John Cornyn and Ted Cruz, along with Housing and Urban Development Secretary Scott Turner, a former Texas state lawmaker whose agency has coordinated parts of the federal response to past Texas disasters, such as Hurricane Harvey.
Rep. Wesley Hunt, a Houston Republican who is considering a Senate primary run against Cornyn, was the only House member to accompany Trump on Air Force One.
On the ground, Trump was joined by nearly every Republican from Texas’ congressional delegation.
Texas’ devastating floods have refocused attention on the president’s plans for FEMA — one of the main coordinating hubs of the recovery efforts. Trump has previously suggested the agency should be significantly reduced and have many of its recovery functions shifted to the states.
“A governor should be able to handle it, and frankly, if they can’t handle it, the aftermath, then maybe they shouldn’t be governor,” he said at the White House in June.
Some Texas leaders have supported Trump’s call, including Abbott, who was named earlier this year to a council tasked with recommending changes to the agency. At the council’s first meeting in May, Abbott said states “have proven that we can move more nimbly, more swiftly, more effectively” than FEMA, which he characterized as “slow and clunky.”
The Kerrville floods are raising fresh questions about whether a scaled-back agency could do enough to help states respond to serious disasters.
Trump’s administration has reportedly backed off plans to wind down the agency, instead pivoting to a potential “rebrand” that would center state officials in future disaster response.
In a statement, White House spokesperson Abigail Jackson denied the report and said Trump was committed to “empowering state and local governments by enabling them to better understand, plan for and ultimately address the needs of their citizens.” Discussions on how to restructure FEMA are ongoing, Jackson said.
Some Republicans have touted FEMA’s importance in the days since the floods. Cruz called the agency’s response “incredibly important,” adding that he would be open to seeing it restructured to become more “nimble.”
On Thursday, ten House Democrats from Texas signed a letter requesting a hearing to probe the federal government’s response preparedness and “the damaging role that the Trump administration has played in weakening the federal government’s capacity to respond to disasters.”
In the wake of the flooding, some rescue efforts and resources have been slowed by Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem’s cost-cutting policy of personally signing off on any contract or grant FEMA awards over $100,000, CNN reported. Agency officials created a task force earlier this week to expedite the process, according to NBC News.
Noem, whose department includes FEMA, has stood by the new protocols and FEMA’s overall response, calling the CNN report “absolutely trash.”
A group of Texas Democrats, led by Reps. Greg Casar of Austin and Jasmine Crockett of Dallas, sent a letter to the FEMA administrator Monday asking for clarification on the policy.
After Trump’s Texas visit Friday, The New York Times reported that two days after the floods, FEMA didn’t answer nearly two-thirds of disaster assistance calls because hundreds of call center contractors were fired when their contracts expired July 5. Noem didn’t renew the contracts until five days later, the Times reported.
This article originally appeared in The Texas Tribune at https://www.texastribune.org/2025/07/11/trump-texas-visit-kerrville-floods-fema-defends-criticism/.
The Texas Tribune is a member-supported, nonpartisan newsroom informing and engaging Texans on state politics and policy. Learn more at texastribune.org.
The post Trump tours flood-hit Kerrville area, defends response appeared first on feeds.texastribune.org
Note: The following A.I. based commentary is not part of the original article, reproduced above, but is offered in the hopes that it will promote greater media literacy and critical thinking, by making any potential bias more visible to the reader –Staff Editor.
Political Bias Rating: Center-Right
This article presents a generally factual account of the Texas floods and the federal government’s response, emphasizing statements and perspectives from Republican leaders including former President Donald Trump, Governor Greg Abbott, and other Texas Republicans. The tone is largely sympathetic toward the administration’s efforts and highlights praise from GOP officials. While it includes mentions of Democratic criticism, those perspectives are brief and positioned amid extensive coverage of Republican support and justifications for FEMA restructuring. The framing and language lean toward a center-right viewpoint by focusing on Republican leadership and defense of their disaster response policies without overt critique or partisan language.
News from the South - Texas News Feed
Rizzbot secrets revealed: Who is the mechanical man stalking Austin?
SUMMARY: Rizzbot is a three-foot-tall humanoid robot, wearing a cowboy hat, gaining popularity in Austin with nearly 500K TikTok followers and over 20 million likes. Built on a Unitree G1 platform costing about $15K-$50K with upgrades, Rizzbot weighs 77 lbs and performs dances taught at the University of Texas through motion capture technology. Operated remotely by an anonymous former YouTuber and biochemist, Rizzbot entertains crowds with preprogrammed moves, embodying charisma (“rizz”). UT Austin researchers developed its fluid motions and safety features. Seen around Austin and other cities, Rizzbot challenges stereotypes, making robots approachable and fun.
The post Rizzbot secrets revealed: Who is the mechanical man stalking Austin? appeared first on www.kxan.com
News from the South - Texas News Feed
Neighbors contacted KHOU 11 about trash piling up in their yards. Then this happened…
SUMMARY: Neighbors in the Tidwell Timbers neighborhood credited KHOU 11’s coverage for prompting city crews to clean up heavy trash piles that had been sitting for months. After complaints aired, Houston’s solid waste trucks rolled through, removing all bulk waste, much to residents’ satisfaction. The Civic Club president shared a video showing the cleanup progress. Houston Solid Waste noted heavy trash pickup is two weeks behind schedule, advising residents to follow their neighborhood’s pickup calendar to prevent future buildup. Jason Miles reported from northeast Houston for KHOU 11. Residents with community concerns are encouraged to submit news tips to KHOU.com.
Solid waste trucks rolled through on Wednesday after residents contacted KHOU 11 about piles of trash in their community.
News from the South - Texas News Feed
Bevo will not travel to Ohio for the Longhorns’ showdown against the Buckeyes. Here’s why
SUMMARY: The Texas Longhorns begin their season Saturday against Ohio State in Columbus, but their live mascot, Bevo—a 2,100-pound steer—won’t attend. Handler Ricky Brennes explained that traveling to Ohio early in the school year would disrupt students in the Silver Spurs Alumni Association, who manage Bevo, and the long trip isn’t ideal for the steer. The 18-hour drive requires multiple stops for Bevo to stretch and rest in pastures overnight, as he doesn’t stay in the trailer overnight. Bevo is expected to appear at the Longhorns’ next three home games starting September 6.
Read the full article
The post Bevo will not travel to Ohio for the Longhorns' showdown against the Buckeyes. Here's why appeared first on www.kxan.com
-
News from the South - Texas News Feed4 days ago
Racism Wrapped in Rural Warmth
-
News from the South - Texas News Feed6 days ago
DEA agents uncover 'torture chamber,' buried drugs and bones at Kentucky home
-
News from the South - Texas News Feed7 days ago
Abrego Garcia released from prison, headed to family
-
Our Mississippi Home6 days ago
Spit Me Out Quick – How Lubber Grasshoppers Survive
-
News from the South - Florida News Feed7 days ago
Chinese bridge collapse kills at least 12 construction workers
-
News from the South - Missouri News Feed5 days ago
Donors to private school voucher program removed from Missouri transparency site
-
News from the South - Florida News Feed6 days ago
Ukraine’s independence-era voices say Russia’s effort to keep control has lasted decades
-
News from the South - Alabama News Feed4 days ago
Child in north Alabama has measles, says Alabama Department of Public Health