Connect with us

News from the South - Alabama News Feed

Passenger rail set to return between Mobile and New Orleans | Louisiana

Published

on

www.thecentersquare.com – By Nolan McKendry | The Center Square – 2024-12-04 09:13:00

SUMMARY: Summarize this content to 100 words:
(The Center Square) − Shovels hit the dirt in Mobile in October, marking the long-anticipated revival of passenger rail service between Mobile and New Orleans. According to the Southern Rail Commission, service will begin in spring of 2025. Communities along the Gulf Coast, including Pascagoula, Biloxi, and Gulfport, will once again be linked by Amtrak’s Gulf Coast Corridor — a service last operational before Hurricane Katrina ravaged the region in 2005.

Map shows Amtrak route from Mobile to New Orleans

Southern Rail Commission

The project, backed by years of federal, state, and local collaboration, has been hailed as a major step in restoring vital transportation infrastructure and fostering economic growth. The Southern Rail Commission, which spearheaded the effort, has emphasized the wide-reaching benefits of the renewed rail line.”This is an incredible outcome,” said SRC Chairman Knox Ross. “With the funding in place, this train can roll soon, and it will have a great return on investment. It will connect people with jobs and education opportunities, boost our local economies, and support the growing tourism industry in our coastal cities.”The Gulf Coast Corridor Improvement Project has received significant federal backing. U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg highlighted the importance of the restoration effort during a visit to Mobile on Oct. 22.Buttigieg celebrated the project, calling it a milestone for the Gulf Coast. “The Gulf Coast Corridor Improvement Project will restore passenger train service between Mobile and New Orleans for the first time since Hurricane Katrina devastated the region in 2005,” Buttigieg said.The restoration has been years in the making, thanks to grants awarded by the Federal Railroad Administration and other federal prograMiss.In 2016, the SRC began planning and station upgrades with more than $2 million in rail administration funding. Subsequent grants included $5.45 million in 2019 for operational costs and $33 million for critical infrastructure improvements. The effort has also drawn matching funds from Louisiana, Mississippi, and Mobile.The project’s success is a testament to persistent advocacy. Ross and other SRC leaders credited support from elected officials, including U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., U.S. Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith, R-Miss. and the late U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran, R-Miss. as well as local partners like Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey, Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson and the Mobile City Council.”We are almost to the finish line,” Ross said. “We look forward to riding this train in the near future.”The rail line is expected to enhance mobility along the Gulf Coast, providing new connections for workers, students, and tourists alike. 

Read the full article

The post Passenger rail set to return between Mobile and New Orleans | Louisiana appeared first on www.thecentersquare.com

News from the South - Alabama News Feed

Appeals court backs Venezuelan migrants’ effort to keep protected status

Published

on

alabamareflector.com – Ariana Figueroa – 2025-08-29 15:29:00


A federal appeals court panel ruled the Trump administration likely acted unlawfully by revoking Temporary Protected Status (TPS) extensions for over 600,000 Venezuelans. The 9th Circuit agreed with a prior district court decision blocking Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem’s move to cancel TPS extensions granted by former DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas. The judges emphasized TPS’s purpose to provide predictable safety and legal status, criticizing sudden reversals that cause uncertainty and harm to beneficiaries. The ruling challenges the Trump administration’s cancellation of TPS, though the Supreme Court previously allowed ending TPS for 350,000 Venezuelans in April. Another group’s TPS expires in September.

by Ariana Figueroa, Alabama Reflector
August 29, 2025

WASHINGTON — A three-judge panel of a federal appeals court unanimously ruled Friday the Trump administration likely acted unlawfully when it revoked extensions for temporary protections for more than 600,000 Venezuelans. 

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit panel agreed with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California’s March decision to block Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem’s decision to vacate two extensions of Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, to the group until October 2026 that the Biden administration put in place early this year.

One of the groups of Venezuelans had their TPS expire in April and the second is set to expire in September. The three-judge panel found that the Trump administration’s decision to end TPS in April is also likely unlawful.

The panel said Noem did not have the authority to revoke the TPS extensions granted by then-DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas. 

Judges Kim McLane Wardlaw, appointed by former President Bill Clinton, Salvador Mendoza Jr. and Anthony Johnstone, who were both appointed by former President Joe Biden, reached the decision.

The judges ruled that the law creating TPS, which grants work visas and deportation protections to nationals from a country deemed too dangerous to return to, was designed to create “predictable periods of safety and legal status for TPS beneficiaries” and the administration’s cancellation of the extension contradicted that goal.

“Sudden reversals of prior decisions contravene the statute’s plain language and purpose,” they wrote. “Here, hundreds of thousands of people have been stripped of status and plunged into uncertainty. The stability of TPS has been replaced by fears of family separation, detention, and deportation.”

“Congress did not contemplate this, and the ongoing irreparable harm to Plaintiffs warrants a remedy pending a final adjudication on the merits,” they continued.

A spokesperson for DHS did not return a message seeking comment Friday.

The U.S. Supreme Court allowed the Trump administration in May to end TPS for the group of 350,000 Venezuelans that expired in April. It is unclear how Friday’s order will affect that group.

The roughly 250,000 Venezuelans in another group are set to have their TPS expire Sept. 10 after the DHS revoked the extension.

Alabama Reflector is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Alabama Reflector maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Brian Lyman for questions: info@alabamareflector.com.

The post Appeals court backs Venezuelan migrants’ effort to keep protected status appeared first on alabamareflector.com



Note: The following A.I. based commentary is not part of the original article, reproduced above, but is offered in the hopes that it will promote greater media literacy and critical thinking, by making any potential bias more visible to the reader –Staff Editor.

Political Bias Rating: Center-Left

This content presents a legal and policy issue involving the Trump administration and the Trump-era Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem in a critical light, highlighting judicial decisions that deem actions taken under their leadership as likely unlawful. The article cites judges appointed by both Democratic and Republican presidents but emphasizes the ruling’s alignment with protections associated with the Biden administration’s policies. The framing tends to support immigration protections and criticizes the rollback efforts, which reflects a center-left perspective commonly supportive of immigrant rights and skeptical of Trump administration policies. However, the piece maintains a factual tone without overt opinion or partisan language, keeping it relatively balanced but leaning slightly to the left.

Continue Reading

News from the South - Alabama News Feed

News 5 NOW at 8:00am August 29th, 2025

Published

on

www.youtube.com – WKRG – 2025-08-29 08:29:07

SUMMARY: On August 29, 2025, News 5 NOW covered major stories including the 20th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, highlighting its catastrophic impact with over 1,800 deaths and $200 billion in damages. A family shared their experience living in New Orleans during the storm. The news also reported a deadly Russian drone attack in Ukraine, Claire’s closing nearly 300 stores including one in Foley, and Foley’s upcoming drainage project on US 98. Mobile County introduced 20 locations for US flag disposal. The show featured a poll on Alabama’s school cell phone ban, revealing mixed opinions. Viewers were reminded to expect busy Labor Day weekend traffic and possible rain.

Local News, Weather, Traffic, Sports, Questoin of the Day, Poll of the Day

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Alabama News Feed

Josiah Catches Up With Jose and Ozzie Canseco | Aug. 28, 2025 | News 19 at 6 p.m.

Published

on

www.youtube.com – WHNT News 19 – 2025-08-28 21:55:14

SUMMARY: At Toyota Field, baseball legend Jose Canseco and his brother Ozzie reunited with Josiah to celebrate their impact on the team. Jose reflected on his time playing in Huntsville, recalling supportive fans and the transition from the old ballpark to the new one. He shared memories of his successful seasons, including winning the Southern League MVP in 1985 after just 57 games and helping secure a championship. Jose also discussed his favorite pitchers to face, particularly knuckleballers, which he excelled against due to his softball background. The Canseco brothers remain celebrated figures for their significant contributions to the team’s history.

News 19’s Josiah Elmore catches up with Jose and Ozzie Canseco

News 19 is North Alabama’s News Leader! We are the CBS affiliate in North Alabama and the Tennessee Valley since November 28, 1963.

https://whnt.com/
https://www.facebook.com/whntnews19
https://www.instagram.com/whntnews19/
https://twitter.com/whnt

Source

Continue Reading

Trending