Connect with us

News from the South - Texas News Feed

KHOU 11 News Sports: LSU lands Brown, Astros swept

Published

on

www.youtube.com – KHOU 11 – 2025-07-10 19:58:47

SUMMARY: The LSU Tigers have landed Lamar Brown, the top 2026 recruit and five-star defensive tackle from Baton Rouge, choosing LSU over Texas A&M, Miami, and Texas. In MLB, the Houston Astros swept the Dodgers in LA but were then swept at home by the Guardians, who had lost 10 straight games. Despite challenges, the Astros emphasize teamwork. College football returns as Houston Cougars aim for a Big 12 bounce-back under coach Willie Fritz, focusing on depth and competition. In tennis, Amanda Eissimova shocked the world by defeating the No. 1 player, Sebalana, to reach her first Grand Slam final at Wimbledon after overcoming burnout.

Here’s the latest on sports of interest for the Houston area. LSU signs Lamar Brown. Astros are swept. Cougars under Fritz.

Source

News from the South - Texas News Feed

Kerr youth camps seek Patrick’s help on proposed flood rules

Published

on

feeds.texastribune.org – By Terri Langford and Emily Foxhall – 2025-08-29 22:05:00


Owners of three Kerr County youth camps have urged Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick to reconsider strict flood safety rules in two bills passed after the July 4 Guadalupe River flood that killed 27 Camp Mystic campers. House Bill 1 and Senate Bill 1 prohibit cabins in floodplains and could withhold state licensing. Camp owners cite high rebuilding costs and request expert-led, financially supported solutions to ease the burden on camps and families. Senator Charles Perry stated no state aid will be provided, as camps are private. Families of victims support the bills for stronger safety reforms ahead of the 2026 camp season.

Kerr County youth camps appeal to Dan Patrick on proposed floodplain restrictions” was first published by The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan media organization that informs Texans — and engages with them — about public policy, politics, government and statewide issues.

Sign up for The Brief, The Texas Tribune’s daily newsletter that keeps readers up to speed on the most essential Texas news.


The owners of three Kerr County youth camps have asked Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick to reconsider some of the stricter new flood safety requirements contained in two bills before the Texas Legislature that have been filed as a result of the tragic July 4 Guadalupe River flooding that killed 27 Camp Mystic campers.

Two camp safety bills, House Bill 1 and Senate Bill 1, would withhold state licensing if cabins are located in a floodplain. A week ago, both bills were passed by their respective home chambers.

Late Friday, The Texas Tribune obtained an Aug. 28 letter sent to Patrick by the owners of Camp Waldemar, Vista Camps and Camp Stewart. In it, the camp owners cite the cost of rebuilding cabins and ask Patrick to “work with us” by having an expert to propose “a safe and professionally analyzed solution through the Texas Water Development Board for the 100-year floodplain prohibition.”

The camp owners also insisted that there “must be meaningful financial support, whether through insurance, state grants, or other funding mechanisms, so that the burden does not fall solely on families, camps, and communities.”

State Sen. Charles Perry, R-Lubbock, who chairs the Senate Select Committee on Disaster Preparedness and Flood and the primary author of one of the bills, told the Tribune last week there would be no state assistance for camps to comply with pending legislation if it passes.

“No, camps are private enterprises,” Perry told The Texas Tribune after family members of the 27 Camp Mystic flood victims testified before his committee on Aug. 20. “The state’s not rebuilding private sector camps.”

The Texas Tribune reached out to Patrick’s office for comment on the letter, which was also forwarded to members of the Texas Senate and Gov. Greg. Abbott, and did not get an immediate response. The Tribune left phone messages at all three camps, asking for more detail and comment on the letter, but none were returned. The Tribune reached Meg Clark, executive director of Camp Waldemar late Friday. She confirmed the contents of the letter but declined to offer additional comment.

The two special legislative committees appointed after the July 4 disaster so far in public hearings have resisted discussing restricting development in floodplains statewide. Requiring camps to move cabins out of the floodplain was the biggest step they had taken in that direction — and is a major piece of the legislation. Flooding experts say getting kids out of risky areas as they sleep is a clear way to help protect them.

Originally, legislators had planned just to require that camps evacuate kids from campgrounds in the floodplain if the weather service issued a flash flood warning and to install ladders on cabins so campers could climb onto rooftops if the situation grew dire and for some reason they hadn’t evacuated. But parents of the kids who died at Camp Mystic pushed to get more restrictive, camp-focused legislation on the table.

“The combination of devastating floods and the heavy financial burden proposed under new state regulations presents an impossible challenge,” the camps’ letter stated. “Collectively, our camps would face millions of dollars in mandated rebuilding costs for cabins subjected to the prohibition that did not sustain damage by recent flooding. These additional burdens would come on top of already significant flood repairs, operational expenses, and existing loans.”

A representative for the Camp Mystic families’ campaign for camp safety said, “We believe the parents’ testimonies and recent media interviews speak for themselves. We have no comment about this letter, but we support lawmakers’ efforts to pass SB1 and HB1 to ensure common sense safety reforms are in place for the 2026 summer camp season.”


More all-star speakers confirmed for The Texas Tribune Festival, Nov. 13–15! This year’s lineup just got even more exciting with the addition of State Rep. Caroline Fairly, R-Amarillo; former United States Attorney General Eric Holder; Abby Phillip, anchor of “CNN NewsNight”; Aaron Reitz, 2026 Republican candidate for Texas Attorney General; and State Rep. James Talarico, D-Austin. Get your tickets today!

TribFest 2025 is presented by JPMorganChase.

This article originally appeared in The Texas Tribune at https://www.texastribune.org/2025/08/29/texas-legislature-flooding-youth-camps/.

The Texas Tribune is a member-supported, nonpartisan newsroom informing and engaging Texans on state politics and policy. Learn more at texastribune.org.

The post Kerr youth camps seek Patrick’s help on proposed flood rules appeared first on feeds.texastribune.org



Note: The following A.I. based commentary is not part of the original article, reproduced above, but is offered in the hopes that it will promote greater media literacy and critical thinking, by making any potential bias more visible to the reader –Staff Editor.

Political Bias Rating: Centrist

The content presents a balanced report on legislative efforts related to flood safety regulations for youth camps in Texas. It includes perspectives from camp owners concerned about financial burdens and state legislators emphasizing private enterprise responsibility, without overtly favoring either side. The article maintains a neutral tone and focuses on factual reporting, reflecting a centrist viewpoint.

Continue Reading

News from the South - Texas News Feed

New cockpit technology could reduce close calls

Published

on

www.youtube.com – FOX 4 Dallas-Fort Worth – 2025-08-29 14:11:47

SUMMARY: Honeywell Aerospace has developed a prototype Surface Alert System (SURF A) designed to prevent runway incursions, which occur when planes enter runways without authorization. Using GPS technology, SURF A provides pilots with two warnings—30 seconds and 15 seconds before a potential collision—helping them avoid close calls during takeoffs and landings. Since 2020, engineers have worked on this system amid rising concerns: the FAA reported over 1,500 runway incursions last year, seven nearly causing collisions. While infrastructure improvements remain crucial, pilots are the final defense. Honeywell aims for certification next month and hopes airlines will adopt the technology early next year.

There’s a new alert system being tested that is designed to reduce close calls on airport runways. FOX’s Asher Reed is in Kansas City with a look at the technology.

Subscribe to FOX 4: https://www.youtube.com/fox4news?sub_confirmation=1

Dallas news, weather, sports and traffic from KDFW FOX 4, serving Dallas-Fort Worth, North Texas and the state of Texas.

Watch FOX 4 Live: https://www.fox4news.com/live
Download the FOX 4 News App: https://www.fox4news.com/apps
Download the FOX 4 WAPP: https://www.fox4news.com/apps
Follow FOX 4 on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Fox4DFW/
Follow FOX 4 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FOX4
Follow FOX 4 on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fox4news/
Subscribe to the FOX 4 newsletter: https://www.fox4news.com/newsletters

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Texas News Feed

Rizzbot secrets revealed: Who is the mechanical man stalking Austin?

Published

on

www.kxan.com – Eric Henrikson – 2025-08-29 13:42:00

SUMMARY: Rizzbot is a three-foot-tall humanoid robot, wearing a cowboy hat, gaining popularity in Austin with nearly 500K TikTok followers and over 20 million likes. Built on a Unitree G1 platform costing about $15K-$50K with upgrades, Rizzbot weighs 77 lbs and performs dances taught at the University of Texas through motion capture technology. Operated remotely by an anonymous former YouTuber and biochemist, Rizzbot entertains crowds with preprogrammed moves, embodying charisma (“rizz”). UT Austin researchers developed its fluid motions and safety features. Seen around Austin and other cities, Rizzbot challenges stereotypes, making robots approachable and fun.

Read the full article

The post Rizzbot secrets revealed: Who is the mechanical man stalking Austin? appeared first on www.kxan.com

Continue Reading

Trending