Connect with us

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

Former Democratic candidate for Arkansas governor will challenge U.S. Rep. Hill in 2026

Published

on

arkansasadvocate.com – Tess Vrbin – 2025-08-01 17:13:00


Chris Jones, the 2022 Democratic gubernatorial candidate in Arkansas, has filed to run for the U.S. House in Arkansas’ 2nd Congressional District in 2026, challenging Republican incumbent French Hill. Jones, a pastor and scientist from Pine Bluff, lost the governor’s race with 35% of the vote. Hill, a banker and former aide to ex-Gov. Mike Huckabee, has represented the district since 2015 and recently won reelection. Jones will face Zackary Huffman in the Democratic primary, while Hill will face Chase McDowell in the Republican primary. Arkansas’ congressional delegation remains entirely Republican, with several Democrats filing for various seats.

by Tess Vrbin, Arkansas Advocate
August 1, 2025

Chris Jones, the unsuccessful 2022 Democratic candidate for Arkansas governor, will challenge Republican U.S. Rep. French Hill in the 2026 congressional election.

Jones filed a statement of candidacy with the Federal Election Commission on July 21. He has yet to make a formal campaign announcement.

Hill has represented Arkansas’ 2nd Congressional District since 2015, encompassing much of Central Arkansas. As of 2022, the district consists of most of Pulaski County and all of Saline, Faulkner, Perry, Van Buren, Cleburne and White counties. Hill and Jones both live in Little Rock, which is split between the 1st, 2nd and 4th congressional districts.

Jones is a pastor and scientist who grew up in Pine Bluff. His first foray into politics was his 2022 gubernatorial candidacy, in which he defeated four Democratic primary opponents but lost the general election, receiving 35% of the vote compared to Republican Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ 63%.

Since then, Jones has co-chaired the national Dirt Road Democrats political action committee. He ran for, but did not win, a vice chair position on the Democratic National Committee.

Hill is a banker and a former aide to Sanders’ father, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. Hill filed his 2026 statement of candidacy with the FEC in November 2024, shortly after winning reelection to his sixth term.

The Democratic Party of Arkansas called Hill “a rubber stamp to [President Donald] Trump’s extremely unpopular agenda” in a Friday statement on Jones’ anticipated run for Hill’s seat.

“It’s clear: Arkansans deserve better, and it’s no surprise that Democrats are stepping up to make their case to voters,” party spokesperson Micah Wallace said in the news release. “…We’re anticipating a robust primary, and we’re wishing all of the candidates the best on the trail.”

Jones will face Zackary Huffman in next year’s Democratic primary, while Hill will face Chase McDowell in the Republican primary, according to FEC documents.

Last year, Hill defeated Democratic retired Army Col. Marcus Jones, 59% to 41%. Hill also survived challenges from then-state Sen. Joyce Elliott in 2020 and then-Rep. Clarke Tucker in 2018.

Arkansas farmer challenges Cotton for U.S. Senate seat

Arkansas’ other three U.S. representatives — Rick Crawford of the 1st District, Steve Womack of the 3rd District and Bruce Westerman of the 4th District — also filed FEC statements of candidacy in November.

All six of Arkansas’ members of Congress are Republicans, and U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton has said he will seek a third term next year. Hallie Shoffner, a Newport farmer and businesswoman, announced her Democratic bid for Cotton’s seat in May. James Russell III, who lost the 2022 gubernatorial primary to Chris Jones, has also announced his Democratic candidacy for Cotton’s seat.

Additionally, Jonathan Pittman of Forrest City and Dan Whitfield of Bella Vista have both filed FEC statements of candidacy in the Democratic Senate primary.

According to FEC documents, Diana Lawrence and Robb Ryerse have filed to run in the Democratic primary for Womack’s House seat, and Samuel Baker has filed to run as a Democrat for Crawford’s House seat.

Arkansas Advocate is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Arkansas Advocate maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Sonny Albarado for questions: info@arkansasadvocate.com.

The post Former Democratic candidate for Arkansas governor will challenge U.S. Rep. Hill in 2026 appeared first on arkansasadvocate.com



Note: The following A.I. based commentary is not part of the original article, reproduced above, but is offered in the hopes that it will promote greater media literacy and critical thinking, by making any potential bias more visible to the reader –Staff Editor.

Political Bias Rating: Centrist

This content presents a straightforward, factual report on political candidates from both the Democratic and Republican parties in Arkansas. It includes balanced information about Democratic candidate Chris Jones and Republican incumbent French Hill, without using charged or partisan language. The article references statements from party spokespeople on both sides and provides detailed background on candidates, maintaining a neutral tone typical of objective political reporting.

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

Sylvan Hills defeats Maumelle in Zero Week thriller

Published

on

www.youtube.com – THV11 – 2025-08-28 23:12:00

SUMMARY: Sylvan Hills ended a 20-game losing streak by defeating Maumelle 55-54 in a thrilling zero-week high school football game. Despite trailing at times, the Bears showcased resilience with key plays from Bubba Johnson and Tyler Hampton, tying the game 28-28 at halftime. Maumelle’s Levi Warrior made impressive catches, keeping the Hornets competitive. In the closing seconds, Maumelle nearly secured the win, but a controversial goal-line stop gave Sylvan Hills the victory. This dramatic opener signals an exciting 2025 season ahead, marking Sylvan Hills’ first win in two years and an intense start for both teams.

Sylvan Hills breaks a 20 game losing streak with a 55-54 win over.

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

Catholic community in Fayetteville prays for Minneapolis victims, reflects on safety

Published

on

www.youtube.com – 40/29 News – 2025-08-27 21:29:53

SUMMARY: Father Jason Tyler of the Catholic community in Fayetteville reflects on the Minneapolis shooting, expressing sadness and anger over the senseless violence. He acknowledges the natural questioning of God’s presence during such tragedies. Despite the distance, the event feels close due to shared faith. Father Tyler assures families that St. Joseph prioritizes safety, with ongoing training for staff and recent security upgrades funded by grants. Counselors are available for students needing support, and he remains open to parents. He emphasizes the fragility of life and the importance of unity within communities as God’s people in response to such events.

Catholic community in Fayetteville prays for Minneapolis victims, reflects on safety

Subscribe to 40/29 on YouTube now for more: http://bit.ly/PTElbK

Get more Northwest Arkansas news: http://www.4029tv.com
Like us: http://facebook.com/4029news
Follow us: http://twitter.com/4029news
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/4029news/

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Arkansas News Feed

Trump administration says CDC chief ousted, but her lawyer says she hasn’t resigned or been fired

Published

on

arkansasadvocate.com – Jennifer Shutt – 2025-08-27 17:13:00


Susan Monarez, recently confirmed as CDC director, faces controversy after the Trump administration announced she is no longer leading the agency, though she has neither resigned nor been officially fired. Her attorneys claim she was targeted for refusing to follow unscientific political directives and remains committed to science and public health. The Department of Health and Human Services confirmed her departure on social media. Monarez was Trump’s second CDC nominee after Dave Weldon withdrew. Her confirmation was narrowly approved by the Senate. The dispute has sparked concerns about politicization of the CDC and prompted other public health officials to consider resigning.

by Jennifer Shutt, Arkansas Advocate
August 27, 2025

WASHINGTON — The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention doesn’t appear inclined to leave her post, despite the Trump administration announcing Wednesday that she’s no longer running one of the country’s top public health agencies. 

Attorneys for Susan Monarez, who received Senate confirmation in late July, posted that she hasn’t been fired or resigned, but didn’t announce whether they plan to sue the administration. 

“When CDC Director Susan Monarez refused to rubber-stamp unscientific, reckless directives and fire dedicated health experts she chose protecting the public over serving a political agenda,” wrote Mark S. Zaid and Abbe David Lowell. “For that, she has been targeted. Dr. Monarez has neither resigned nor received notification from the White House that she has been fired, and as a person of integrity and devoted to science, she will not resign.”

The statement from Monarez’s attorneys came just hours after the Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the CDC, wrote on social media that she was no longer running the agency. 

“Susan Monarez is no longer director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,” the post stated. “We thank her for her dedicated service to the American people. @SecKennedy has full confidence in his team at@CDCgov who will continue to be vigilant in protecting Americans against infectious diseases at home and abroad.”

The Washington Post first reported the news. 

The U.S. Senate voted along party lines to confirm Monarez as CDC director in late July, giving her just weeks in one of the nation’s top public health roles.

Monarez’s last post on social media from her official account was on Aug. 22, marking the death of a police officer after a gunman opened fire at the CDC’s headquarters in Atlanta. 

“A large group of CDC employees and I attended today’s memorial for Officer David Rose, whose Tour of Duty ended on August 8 when he responded to shots fired,” Monarez wrote. “He leaves behind a legacy of love, courage, and service to the community that will never be forgotten.”

The dispute over Monarez’s position as CDC director appeared to potentially mark the beginning of a wave of resignations from other public health officials, including Director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases Demetre C. Daskalakis.

“I am unable to serve in an environment that treats CDC as a tool to generate policies and materials that do not reflect scientific reality and are designed to hurt rather than to improve the public’s health,” Daskalakis wrote in a lengthy social media post. “The recent change in the adult and children’s immunization schedule threaten the lives of the youngest Americans and pregnant people.”

Monarez second choice after Weldon

Monarez was President Donald Trump’s second choice for CDC director. He originally selected former Florida U.S. Rep. Dave Weldon to run the CDC shortly after he secured election to the Oval Office in November. But the White House pulled Weldon’s nomination in March, after it appeared he couldn’t secure the votes needed for confirmation.

Later that month, Trump announced his plans to nominate Monarez in a social media post.

“Dr. Monarez brings decades of experience championing Innovation, Transparency, and strong Public Health Systems,” Trump wrote. “She has a Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin, and PostDoctoral training in Microbiology and Immunology at Stanford University School of Medicine.

“As an incredible mother and dedicated public servant, Dr. Monarez understands the importance of protecting our children, our communities, and our future. Americans have lost confidence in the CDC due to political bias and disastrous mismanagement. Dr. Monarez will work closely with our GREAT Secretary of Health and Human Services, Robert Kennedy Jr. Together, they will prioritize Accountability, High Standards, and Disease Prevention to finally address the Chronic Disease Epidemic and, MAKE AMERICA HEALTHY AGAIN!”

Restoring trust in CDC

Monarez testified in front of the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions in June as part of her confirmation process. The committee voted 12-11 in July to send her nomination to the Senate floor, where Republicans approved her to the post later that month. 

Chairman Bill Cassidy, R-La., said during the committee’s markup that he believed Monarez would put science first and help to restore public trust in the agency. 

“The United States needs a CDC director who makes decisions rooted in science, a leader who will reform the agency and work to restore public trust in health institutions,” Cassidy said at the time. “With decades of proven experience as a public health official, Dr. Monarez is ready to take on this challenge.”

Last updated 6:59 p.m., Aug. 27, 2025

Arkansas Advocate is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Arkansas Advocate maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Sonny Albarado for questions: info@arkansasadvocate.com.

The post Trump administration says CDC chief ousted, but her lawyer says she hasn’t resigned or been fired appeared first on arkansasadvocate.com



Note: The following A.I. based commentary is not part of the original article, reproduced above, but is offered in the hopes that it will promote greater media literacy and critical thinking, by making any potential bias more visible to the reader –Staff Editor.

Political Bias Rating: Center-Left

This content exhibits a center-left political bias through its framing of Susan Monarez as a public health figure targeted for standing up to “unscientific, reckless directives” under the Trump administration, emphasizing her commitment to science and integrity. The article highlights criticism of political interference in public health agencies and portrays Monarez’s ousting in a critical light, which aligns with perspectives more commonly found on the center-left. While it presents direct quotes from officials and references bipartisan actions, the tone and selection of details suggest a tilt toward defending established scientific leadership against politically motivated decisions associated with the right-wing Trump administration.

Continue Reading

Trending