Connect with us

News from the South - Alabama News Feed

Floods are swallowing their village. But for them and others, the EPA has cut the lifeline.

Published

on

alabamareflector.com – Ames Alexander, Floodlight – 2025-07-13 07:01:00


The Alaskan tribal village of Kipnuk faces rapid riverbank erosion threatening its homes and infrastructure due to thawing permafrost. The village was awarded a $20 million EPA grant for erosion control, but the Trump administration abruptly canceled it, putting relocation prospects on the table. Since Trump took office, over 600 EPA grants totaling $2.7 billion have been canceled, disproportionately impacting environmental justice and climate initiatives, especially in blue states. A coalition of nonprofits and tribes has sued the EPA, alleging unlawful cancellations. Meanwhile, EPA employees opposing these cuts have faced administrative leave, highlighting deep agency divisions over dismantling environmental justice programs.

by Ames Alexander, Floodlight, Alabama Reflector
July 13, 2025

Acre by acre, the village of Kipnuk is falling into the river.

The small Alaskan tribal village sits on permafrost, which is thawing fast as global temperatures rise. That’s left the banks of the Kugkaktlik River unstable — and more likely to collapse when floods hit, as they often do. Buildings, boardwalks, wind turbines and other critical infrastructure are at risk, according to Rayna Paul, the village’s environmental director.

So when the village learned late last year that it had been awarded a $20 million federal grant to protect the riverbank, tribal members breathed a sigh of relief.

But that relief was short-lived. On May 2, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency canceled the grant. Without that help, Paul says, residents may be forced to relocate their village.

“In the future, so much land will be in the river,” Paul says.

Rayna Paul, environmental director for the Native Village of Kipnuk, said the $20 million grant awarded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to the village was crucial for protecting buildings, homes and infrastructure threatened by riverbank erosion. But now the grant has been canceled, and the village may eventually have to relocate. (Photo courtesy of Rayna Paul)

Kipnuk’s grant was one of more than 600 that the EPA has canceled since President Donald Trump took office, according to data obtained by Floodlight through a Freedom of Information Act request. Through May 15, the cuts totaled more than $2.7 billion.

Floodlight’s analysis of the data shows:

  • Environmental justice grants took by far the biggest hit, with more than $2.4 billion in funding wiped out.
  • The EPA has also canceled more than $120 million in grants aimed at reducing the carbon footprint of cement, concrete and other construction materials. Floodlight reported in April that the cement industry’s carbon emissions rival those of some major countries — and that efforts to decarbonize the industry have lost momentum under the Trump administration.
  • Blue states bore the brunt. Those states lost nearly $1.6 billion in grant money — or about 57% of the funding cuts.
  • The single largest grant canceled: A $95 million award to the Research Triangle Institute, a North Carolina-based scientific research organization that had planned to distribute the money to underserved communities. RTI also lost five other EPA grants, totaling more than $36 million.

More cuts could be coming. The Washington Post reported in late April on a court filing that showed the EPA had targeted 781 grants issued under Biden. The data obtained by Floodlight shows the majority of those grants have already been canceled.

Lawsuit challenges grant cancellations

Two weeks ago, a coalition of nonprofits, tribes and local governments sued the EPA, alleging the Trump administration broke the law by canceling environmental and climate justice grants that Congress had already funded.

“Terminating these grant programs caused widespread harm and disruption to on-the-ground projects that reduce pollution, increase community climate resilience and build community capacity to tackle environmental harms,” said Hana Vizcarra, a senior attorney at Earthjustice, one of the nonprofits that filed the lawsuit. “We won’t let this stand.”

The EPA declined to comment on the lawsuit. But in a written response to Floodlight, the agency said this about the grant cancellations:

“The Biden-Harris Administration shouldn’t have forced their radical agenda of wasteful DEI programs and ‘environmental justice’ preferencing on the EPA’s core mission. The Trump EPA will continue to work with states, tribes, and communities to support projects that advance the agency’s core mission of protecting human health and the environment.”

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has canceled more than 600 grants — totaling more than $2.7 billion — since President Donald Trump took office. A new lawsuit, filed by nonprofits and communities that lost their federal funding, alleges that the grant cancellations were unlawful. (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency via Wikimedia Commons)

Congress created the Environmental and Climate Justice Block Grant program in 2022 when it enacted the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), President Joe Biden’s landmark climate bill. The program was designed to help the disadvantaged communities that are often hit hardest by pollution and climate change.

But on Jan. 20, Trump’s first day back in office, he signed an executive order halting funding under the IRA, including money for environmental justice, and canceling a Biden-era executive order that prioritized tackling environmental racism. Separately, in his orders on diversity, equity and inclusion, Trump called for the closures of all environmental justice offices and positions in the federal government.

Underserved communities are often the most vulnerable to climate impacts such as heat waves and flooding because they have fewer resources to prepare or recover, according to a 2021 analysis by the EPA.

The streets of Pound, Virginia, were underwater after severe flooding in July 2022. Appalachian Voices, a nonprofit organization, planned to use a $500,000 grant from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to demolish flood ravaged buildings in the community and to design a wall to protect its downtown. But President Donald Trump’s administration abruptly canceled the funding. Appalachian Voices is among a group of nonprofits, tribes and local governments suing the EPA to restore the funding. (Willie Dodson / Appalachian Voices)

Inside the agency, not everyone agrees with the new direction. In a “declaration of dissent,” more than 200 current and former EPA employees spoke out against Trump administration policies, including the decision to dismantle the agency’s environmental justice program.

“Canceling environmental justice programs is not cutting waste; it is failing to serve the American people,” they wrote.

On Thursday, the EPA put 139 of the employees who signed the petition on administrative leave, Inside Climate News reported.

The Alaskan village of Kipnuk had been planning to use a $20 million U.S. Environmental Protection Agency grant to build a rock retaining wall to prevent the rapid erosion along the banks of the Kugkaktlik River. But the cancellation of that grant leaves the village’s future in doubt. (Photo courtesy of the Native Village of Kipnuk)

From hope to heartbreak in Texas

The people at Downwinders at Risk, a small Texas nonprofit that helps communities harmed by air pollution, thought they were finally getting a break.

Last year, they learned that the EPA had awarded them a $500,000 grant — enough to install nine new air quality monitors in working-class neighborhoods near asphalt shingle plants, a gas well and a fracking operation in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The data would have helped residents avoid the worst air and plan their days around pollution spikes.

But on May 1, the group’s three employees received the news they’d been dreading: Their grant had been canceled.

Lakitha Wijeratne, with the University of Texas at Dallas, left, and Alicia Kendrick, a community organizer with Downwinders at Risk, install air-monitoring equipment. Downwinders had been planning to use a $500,000 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency grant to install more air monitors in Dallas-area communities threatened by pollution. But that grant was canceled. (Photo courtesy of Downwinders at Risk)

“It was a very bitter pill to swallow,” said Caleb Roberts, the group’s executive director.

He and his team had devoted more than 100 hours to the application and compliance process.

The nonprofit’s annual budget is just over $250,000, and the federal funding would have allowed the group to expand its reach after years of scraping by. They’d even paused fundraising for six months, confident the federal money was on the way.

“We feel like we’re at ground zero again,” Roberts said. “And that’s just very unfortunate.”

Floodlight is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates the powers stalling climate action.

Alabama Reflector is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Alabama Reflector maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Brian Lyman for questions: info@alabamareflector.com.

The post Floods are swallowing their village. But for them and others, the EPA has cut the lifeline. appeared first on alabamareflector.com



Note: The following A.I. based commentary is not part of the original article, reproduced above, but is offered in the hopes that it will promote greater media literacy and critical thinking, by making any potential bias more visible to the reader –Staff Editor.

Political Bias Rating: Center-Left

This article primarily critiques the policies of the Trump administration for canceling EPA environmental and climate justice grants, highlighting the adverse effects on vulnerable communities and tribal villages. The focus on environmental justice, climate change impacts, and criticism of cuts to federal funding aligns with a Center-Left perspective that emphasizes government responsibility in addressing climate change and supporting underserved populations. The article presents factual data but frames the issue with a sympathetic tone toward those affected by the grant cancellations, reflecting a bias toward progressive environmental policies and opposition to conservative administrative actions.

News from the South - Alabama News Feed

Appeals court backs Venezuelan migrants’ effort to keep protected status

Published

on

alabamareflector.com – Ariana Figueroa – 2025-08-29 15:29:00


A federal appeals court panel ruled the Trump administration likely acted unlawfully by revoking Temporary Protected Status (TPS) extensions for over 600,000 Venezuelans. The 9th Circuit agreed with a prior district court decision blocking Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem’s move to cancel TPS extensions granted by former DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas. The judges emphasized TPS’s purpose to provide predictable safety and legal status, criticizing sudden reversals that cause uncertainty and harm to beneficiaries. The ruling challenges the Trump administration’s cancellation of TPS, though the Supreme Court previously allowed ending TPS for 350,000 Venezuelans in April. Another group’s TPS expires in September.

by Ariana Figueroa, Alabama Reflector
August 29, 2025

WASHINGTON — A three-judge panel of a federal appeals court unanimously ruled Friday the Trump administration likely acted unlawfully when it revoked extensions for temporary protections for more than 600,000 Venezuelans. 

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit panel agreed with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California’s March decision to block Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem’s decision to vacate two extensions of Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, to the group until October 2026 that the Biden administration put in place early this year.

One of the groups of Venezuelans had their TPS expire in April and the second is set to expire in September. The three-judge panel found that the Trump administration’s decision to end TPS in April is also likely unlawful.

The panel said Noem did not have the authority to revoke the TPS extensions granted by then-DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas. 

Judges Kim McLane Wardlaw, appointed by former President Bill Clinton, Salvador Mendoza Jr. and Anthony Johnstone, who were both appointed by former President Joe Biden, reached the decision.

The judges ruled that the law creating TPS, which grants work visas and deportation protections to nationals from a country deemed too dangerous to return to, was designed to create “predictable periods of safety and legal status for TPS beneficiaries” and the administration’s cancellation of the extension contradicted that goal.

“Sudden reversals of prior decisions contravene the statute’s plain language and purpose,” they wrote. “Here, hundreds of thousands of people have been stripped of status and plunged into uncertainty. The stability of TPS has been replaced by fears of family separation, detention, and deportation.”

“Congress did not contemplate this, and the ongoing irreparable harm to Plaintiffs warrants a remedy pending a final adjudication on the merits,” they continued.

A spokesperson for DHS did not return a message seeking comment Friday.

The U.S. Supreme Court allowed the Trump administration in May to end TPS for the group of 350,000 Venezuelans that expired in April. It is unclear how Friday’s order will affect that group.

The roughly 250,000 Venezuelans in another group are set to have their TPS expire Sept. 10 after the DHS revoked the extension.

Alabama Reflector is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Alabama Reflector maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Brian Lyman for questions: info@alabamareflector.com.

The post Appeals court backs Venezuelan migrants’ effort to keep protected status appeared first on alabamareflector.com



Note: The following A.I. based commentary is not part of the original article, reproduced above, but is offered in the hopes that it will promote greater media literacy and critical thinking, by making any potential bias more visible to the reader –Staff Editor.

Political Bias Rating: Center-Left

This content presents a legal and policy issue involving the Trump administration and the Trump-era Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem in a critical light, highlighting judicial decisions that deem actions taken under their leadership as likely unlawful. The article cites judges appointed by both Democratic and Republican presidents but emphasizes the ruling’s alignment with protections associated with the Biden administration’s policies. The framing tends to support immigration protections and criticizes the rollback efforts, which reflects a center-left perspective commonly supportive of immigrant rights and skeptical of Trump administration policies. However, the piece maintains a factual tone without overt opinion or partisan language, keeping it relatively balanced but leaning slightly to the left.

Continue Reading

News from the South - Alabama News Feed

News 5 NOW at 8:00am August 29th, 2025

Published

on

www.youtube.com – WKRG – 2025-08-29 08:29:07

SUMMARY: On August 29, 2025, News 5 NOW covered major stories including the 20th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, highlighting its catastrophic impact with over 1,800 deaths and $200 billion in damages. A family shared their experience living in New Orleans during the storm. The news also reported a deadly Russian drone attack in Ukraine, Claire’s closing nearly 300 stores including one in Foley, and Foley’s upcoming drainage project on US 98. Mobile County introduced 20 locations for US flag disposal. The show featured a poll on Alabama’s school cell phone ban, revealing mixed opinions. Viewers were reminded to expect busy Labor Day weekend traffic and possible rain.

Local News, Weather, Traffic, Sports, Questoin of the Day, Poll of the Day

Source

Continue Reading

News from the South - Alabama News Feed

Josiah Catches Up With Jose and Ozzie Canseco | Aug. 28, 2025 | News 19 at 6 p.m.

Published

on

www.youtube.com – WHNT News 19 – 2025-08-28 21:55:14

SUMMARY: At Toyota Field, baseball legend Jose Canseco and his brother Ozzie reunited with Josiah to celebrate their impact on the team. Jose reflected on his time playing in Huntsville, recalling supportive fans and the transition from the old ballpark to the new one. He shared memories of his successful seasons, including winning the Southern League MVP in 1985 after just 57 games and helping secure a championship. Jose also discussed his favorite pitchers to face, particularly knuckleballers, which he excelled against due to his softball background. The Canseco brothers remain celebrated figures for their significant contributions to the team’s history.

News 19’s Josiah Elmore catches up with Jose and Ozzie Canseco

News 19 is North Alabama’s News Leader! We are the CBS affiliate in North Alabama and the Tennessee Valley since November 28, 1963.

https://whnt.com/
https://www.facebook.com/whntnews19
https://www.instagram.com/whntnews19/
https://twitter.com/whnt

Source

Continue Reading

Trending